Gaming is serious business. We know this for sure, because we’ve had fun times as well as trying times when playing against opponents. There are so many awesome games that are releasing soon like Assassin’s Creed Origins, Wolfenstein 2: the New Colossus, Call of Duty: WW2 (Yeah!) or NFS Payback. We’ve loved all these – starting from playing NFS years back, pretending we’re the next Schumacher or feel like Rambo in these first shooter games. And having a high performance gaming router for Xbox one can really improve your gaming experience. And that's all that matters, right?
The virtual gaming world is so cool; we want the best when it comes to getting the best gaming router for Xbox One. With so many releases to look forward to, winter seems like it’s going to be awesome!
Of course, we hope you’ve gotten geared up and are ready to handle these games on your Xbox One. If you’re facing packet losses, here is what you should watch out for:
How to Avoid Packet Loss on Your Xbox One
Do your research and find the best ISP for you – you should have a solid and reliable internet connection with the best speeds that you can possibly get. And remember, you can’t focus on your ISP only for your gaming experience. We’re sure there must be other members of your family who would love to stream HD videos while you’re gaming away, or complete projects, do office work, transfer heavy files... You get the idea.
Your Gaming Router For Xbox One
This is often an overlooked piece of internet equipment. Most people rent their router from their ISP and this could offer less than optima performance as it would be created for an overall online experience, not geared towards a gaming one.
As there are many routers, each specifically geared towards a certain target market; you should check out gaming wireless routers that are known to reduce latency issues and process traffic packets faster and better.
Which is the best gaming router for Xbox One? The BlueGadgetTooth team reveals the best picks for gaming on your Xbox One.
Features a Good Gaming Router For Xbox One Should Have
Ethernet Ports & Getting Hard Wired
When it comes to performance, nothing beats getting wired to your router. Wireless tends to lose out on all levels as you get an indirect connection from the router to your Xbox One. Being wired allows to be directly connected; eliminating any chances for drops in connectivity, lags, minimalize any latency issues and more.
Plugging in your Xbox One to your Ethernet port can make that difference between getting shot and being the one doing the shooting.
Quality of Service is essential for optimal game play, especially if you are not the sole user of your internet connection. You could have visitors, guests, friends who want to come over and game with you, or have family members who use the internet for their own purposes.
Manipulating your QoS settings will ensure what gets priority in your network (Hint: Your Xbox One and other gaming devices.)
Open Source Firmware
Your router comes with standard firmware that may not enable you to make the most of what you have. By installing open source firmware or third party firmware such as DD-WRT or Tomato, you can customize your firmware to tweak the settings so that you get a streamlined network in terms of security, QoS, antenna power and more.
Now you can port traffic from your Xbox Live to your XBOX One with NAT Open or Port forwarding feature, when used in tandem with uPnP. This means more games, without getting booted from them!
This function comes in built with most routers, and if you don’t have it, you can upgrade your firmware (as explained above). This allows your Xbox One console to connect to Xbox Live servers with minimal restrictions. This is used in conjunction with the Port Forwarding feature.
Best Gaming Router For Xbox One
1. Linksys WRT32X
4 Ethernet Ports
2. Asus RT AC87U
4 Ethernet Ports
3. Netgear R7000
4 Ethernet Ports
1. Linksys AC3200 (WRT32X)
Best Gaming Router For Xbox One (Editor's Choice)
The Linksys AC3200 WRT32X is a router that is specifically created for gamers. In fact, there are so many features that recommend this router for the gaming community, that the BlueGadgetTooth team would be remiss if we didn’t pick this as our Editor’s Choice for being the best gaming router for Xbox One. The sleek design and simple UI also makes this a clear winner for all gamers.
- Rivet Network’s Killer Prioritization Engine: This feature allows your router to identify computers that are loaded with the Killer Networking hardware, which comes inbuilt with most gaming laptops and PCs. Traffic from online gaming on compatible devices get priority over other connected devices on the Network doing other activities like streaming videos, avoiding network disruptions. This technology also reduce peak ping by up to 77%.
- 4 x Gigabit Ethernet Ports & 1 x Gigabit WAN port: Having multiple Ethernet Gigabit ports makes a huge difference to gamers because you may have more than one device connected. There is a huge difference in performance n wired vs wireless. The best thing of all, these are all connected to a ‘pro-grade’ internal controller that will give your network the boost it needs.
- Powerful CPU: The 1.8GHz processor will help make your applications run faster, in turn, making your gaming consoles and devices process data faster.
- Simple and easy set up process: The last thing you want is unnecessary delays when you know you’re up for a challenge vs certain players who’ve been itching to go up against for a while, simply because it took time to get your new router all ready to go. True, the WRT32X doesn’t have a simple app based set up like other routers, but this is so easy peasy that you’ll be done in no time at all.
- Part of the WRT family: You do have the option to install open source firmware – and advanced users will be familiar with the many advantages of running open source firmware like DD-WRT. But you should note that this could negate the Killer Network optimization support, which makes a difference in your gaming experience.
- A good mix of mainstream and advanced needs: Routers are built to cater to a larger audience, and the WRT32X is no different. But the awesome support for various features is what gets our blood racing. Some of those features are an integrated Open VPN Client, IPv6, range of DNS providers and more.
- Simple drag and drop interface for network control: Tech newbies won’t have a hard time figuring how to prioritize traffic to their other device in their network. This is great for those who love to game but don’t know the inner workings of the system that advanced users know.
- High performance: It is essential to have a dual band router to handle all the load that comes from various devices so that all gadgets can be connected. Best of all, the WRT32X gave us nearly top speeds. We subscribe for a 150Mbps plan from our ISP, and we do get those speeds with the WRT32X. No complaints here whatsoever.
Linksys WRT32X Pros
- Sleek design
- Simple and easy set up process
- KPE feature
- Excellent performance
- Dual band
- Easy UI with QoS
- Excellent coverage and low latency
Linksys WRT32X Cons
- No display of MAC addresses of devices, but this should be rectified soon in future updates
2. ASUS RT-AC87U Wireless AC2400
Asus has always created great networking tools and gadgets and they do not disappoint with the RT-AC87U. It is not fastest, nor the best, but it does get the job done when you don’t have a lot of green to throw towards networking solutions. When it was first released, it came with a lot of bugs, but since then there have been various firmware updates that have removed those initial hiccups.
- Quantenna QSR1000 4x4 chipset: This means that it can deliver theoretical top speeds of 1733Mbps on its 5GHz band when connected with an 802.11AC client.
- Dual Band: When it comes to connectivity, your home probably has a range of devices and gadgets that can support the latest wireless standard of 802.11AC or previous standards. This router is backwards compatible, which means that your gadgets can still get connected, while being connected to the suitable frequencies. 2.4GHz which would be perfect for slower devices that hog up bandwidth, and the faster 5GHz for your gaming devices so that they get priority.
- Multiple Guest Networks: You could be gaming away, and the last thing you want is to give out your private network’s password to all your guests who pop by for a visit as their connected devices and online activities could affect the security and performance of your gaming experience. With the RT-AC87U, you can allocate them to 6 different guest networks, 3 on each band.
- In built VPN server feature: Any gamer will understand the importance of having a secure VPN for remote users. With this, you can also have a customized firewall, IPv6, Dynamic DNS and other features.
- Adaptive QoS and AiProtection: You can now prioritize your bandwidth according to the online activity – so that your gaming can take precedence in importance over others using the network for browsing, streaming, VoIP or more. The AiProtection feature protects your private network from cyber threats, which is super important when you’re gaming.
- App Analysis: Real time monitoring of your network so you can see which device is using how much of your bandwidth.
Asus RT AC87U Wireless Router Pros
- Easy set up process
- Advanced settings can be accessed if you know what to do
- Fast speeds and great performance
- Extremely long range
- Dual band
- Monitors real time traffic
- Superfast Wireless speeds
Asus RT AC87U Wireless Router Cons
- Large size
- Awkwardly placed USB 3.0 port
- Remembers the client’s MAC address instead of name
3. Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000)
Best Low Budget Router For Xbox One
Being part of the Netgear Nighthawk series means that this router has features that would up your gaming experience. Built for gamers and other online activities, the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is for gamers who like to go for the win.
- Dynamic QoS: While this feature is great for gamers to optimize your game play, when it is in conjunction with a 1GHz processor, your Xbox One will get a boost so that you’re always one step ahead of your opponent.
- 3 Adjustable antennas: Being able to adjust the external antennas ensures that your devices get a better and stronger signal and better coverage overall.
- Beamforming: Now your signal can be focused to your devices, so that your game play is at its optimal. Although this benefits Xbox One gamers, even people who love to play on their phones will benefit, no matter where you are in your home.
- Access Control: Now nothing can connect to your network without your say so. If you’re in the middle of a heated battle, you don’t want another user to get connected to leach away your bandwidth.
Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Pros
- Excellent range
- Increased throughput
- Can handle multiple devices connected to the network
- Simple configuration process
- Significant increase in speeds and performance
- Regular firmware updates
- Multiple guest networks
Netgear Nighthawk R7000 Cons
- Not for advanced users who want to tinker around with the unit
When it comes down to it, if you are a serious Xbox gamer like we are, and have been playing for years, you know what you want and need, and this is not something you should compromise on. Gaming can be stressful, especially when you’re pitted against players all over the world who somehow always seem to be one click ahead. If you want to experience being on the winning team, and being that split second ahead of your opponents, you should seriously consider getting the best gaming router for Xbox One.
Although there is something for everyone in terms of budget or brand preferences, when it came to performance and features, the Linksys WRT32X won hands down. Alright, now off we go, back to our Xbox One. Who knows, maybe we’ll be on opposite teams in a game!